Arts Center of Coastal Carolina Formerly the Self Family Arts Center, the Arts Center of Coastal Carolina is a showcase for professional performing and visual arts, as well as cultural festivals and educational outreach. The Arts Center also offers community education, including Visual and Performing Arts Camps, Theater Camp, and other workshops and classes.
Coastal Discovery Museum The Coastal Discovery Museum, located at 100 William Hilton Parkway, offers a variety of programs, activities, and indoor and outdoor exhibits year-round to over 125,000 visitors. They include the Sea Island Classroom, the History Time-line Exhibit, and the Museum Store, plus 11 different tours and cruises around the island. The Coastal Discovery Museum also leases the 68-acre Honey Horn Plantation from the Town of Hilton Head Island, which it uses to educate residents and visitors about the history, culture and natural environment of the Lowcountry and Hilton Head Island. The Coastal Discovery Museum is open Monday – Saturday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Hilton Head Choral Society The Hilton Head Choral Society, founded in 1975, is a non-profit organization “open to community members who love to sing and enjoy good fellowship.” The choirs of the Hilton Head Choral Society are known for their diverse musical repertoire including classical masterworks, pops concerts and lighter fare, patriotic and Americana, gospel and musical theatre, a 20-voice chamber choir and a youth choir. The 120-member full chorus presents four major programs per season: A Fall Pops Concert, The Christmas Concert, The Musical Masterworks Concert and a pair of Memorial Day concerts celebrating the art of American choral singing and a patriotic tribute.
Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra The Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra was started 25 years ago by a handful of musicians and classical music aficionados who dreamed of bringing “big city” culture to Hilton Head. Since then, they have transformed from a small group of classical music lovers to a highly rated symphony orchestra. Their main performance hall is the First Presbyterian Church on William Hilton Parkway, next to Fire Station 3. A branch formed from the Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra is the Hilton Head Youth Orchestra, helping young musicians across the county with their love for music.
Arts Council of Beaufort County ACBC’s mission is to promote and foster the arts of Beaufort County, South Carolina, including Hilton Head Island. ACBC’s vision is to position and maintain Beaufort County as a vibrant arts community and destination through active marketing, service to current arts organizations and artists and advocacy for the arts. ACBC programs include Quarterly Community Arts Grants, the Ever Expanding Arts Calendar, Get Your Art Out emerging artist initiative, the print publication ArtNews, and Arts of the Roundtables, which are free quarterly seminars exploring the business of art.
Main Street Youth Theatre The Main Street Youth Theatre, located on the north end of the island on Main Street, is a non-profit community theatre dedicated to enriching the lives of the islands youth by providing a true theatrical experience. Each year, MSYT performs 4-5 Broadway quality shows that run about 2 months at a time. During the tourist season, MSYT is a major tourist attraction and is also a local hot spot year round. The organization also provides acting, dance, and vocal instruction after school and during the summer.
HILTON HEAD ISLAND CULTURE & ANNUAL EVENTS!
- Gullah Celebration – Although threatened by the rapid increase in tourism, Gullah culture can be seen at the annual Hilton Head Island Gullah Celebration which is held at Shelter Cove Community Park in February. In the summer, the acclaimed Hallelujah Singers present a Gullah concert series at Hilton Head’s Arts Center of Coastal Carolina.
- WineFest – The Annual WineFest will be held at Honey Horn Plantation. It is the largest outdoor, tented wine tasting on the East Coast, featuring over 1,500 domestic and international wines.
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade – The Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Over 20,000 people attended the parade, parade route runs along Pope Avenue.
- WingFest – The Annual Hargray WingFest, Shelter Cove Community Park. The event is operated by the Island Recreation Association, and all proceeds benefit the Island Recreation Scholarship Fund.
- HarbourFest – HarbourFest, runs every Tuesday night from June – August at Shelter Cove Marina, featuring arts & crafts, live entertainment, and fireworks at sunset. There is a special HarbourFest celebration on July 4. In addition, “Summertime at Shelter Cove” features five nights of family entertainment by Shannon Tanner, who plays two shows per night, 6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m., Monday – Friday.
- The RBC Heritage Golf Classic – This is one of the busiest times of the year in HHI. A lot of famous people can be seen at the heritage. The 44th annual tournament set for April 9-15, 2012, at Harbour Town Golf Links in Sea Pines Resort.
- Rib Burnoff & Barbecue Fest – TheAnnual Rib Burnoff & Barbecue Fest at Honey Horn Plantation.
- Celebrity Golf Tournament – (postponed for 2014) The Annual Celebrity Golf Tournament held over Labor day weekend, at the Robert Trent Jones Course in Palmetto Dunes, the Pete Dye Course at Colleton River and the Harbour Town Golf Links in The Sea Pines Resort. To date the tournament has contributed to 18 children’s charities.
- Chili Cookoff – The Annual Chili Cookoff held at Honey Horn Plantation.
- Community Festival – The Annual Community Festival held in October at Honey Horn Plantation.
- Concours d’Elegance & Motoring Festival – The Annual Concours d’Elegance & Motoring Festival, featuring world-class vintage and antique autos, Italian sports cars and American muscle cars from all over the country held at Honey Horn Plantation.
- The Dove Street Festival of Lights – Cancelled as of this writing.