If you’re determined to perfect your putt or refine your swing in 2015, there are many ways to maximize your game on Hilton Head Island’s beautiful golf courses. Here are a few golf tips to help you improve your score this year:
1. Let others watch the ball.
If you look up, you will not like what you see.
2. Listen for the putt to drop.
When you turn to watch the ball go in, that action changes your alignment. Looking up usually happens before impact, therefore causing stroke misdirection and missing the sweet spot.
3. Tell one joke per round.
The benefits of laughing will lower your score. Laughing produces a sense of well-being, lowers the heart rate and stress hormone levels. It even releases endorphins that are natural pain relievers. Also, you will more than likely to be invited back to play, regardless of your score.
4. When it’s breezy, swing easy.
When you swing at pace of 70 percent, you are more likely to strike the sweet spot. This sweet spot produces more distance and imparts a spin on the ball that aids in overcoming the influence of the wind.
5. Remember that golf is a game of opposites.
The harder you try, the worse you do. This always gets giggles, and all golfers say it’s true.
6. Visit www.mentalgolfworkshop.com (password palmetto).
Yogi Berra said, “golf is 90 percent mental and the other 10 percent requires a lot of thinking.”
7. Watch the movie Seven Days in Utopia.
This film stars Robert Duvall and a number of PGA Tour players. Put yourself in the character of Lucas Black.
8. Attend the Free Golf Class at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course.
Join us on Mondays from 4-5 p.m. It’s hands-on, interactive and you may even win a prize.
9. Take a golf lesson from a pro who keeps it simple.
The fewer the words the better. After all, actions speak louder than words.
10. Understand that putting correctly will help your driver go farther.
Golf is actually much simpler than most think. The fundamentals of excellent putting can be applied to improve your driver as well.
11. Transfer your present skills into golf.
What hobbies or skills do you have? We can take the fundamentals of that skill and transfer the principals in to golf. I will use typing as an example. When your posture and hand placement is done correctly, it leads to unconscious finger movement and minimal errors.
12. Read fewer golf books.
An ancient Chinese proverb says, “experiencing is the best way to learn.” An effective coach will have you experiencing successful golf with a hands-on method in much less time.
13. Trust a proven coach for all areas of your game.
Jordan Speith expresses significant gratitude to his entourage.
14. Perspire 15 minutes before you practice and play.
The perspiration tells you your body has blood flowing to all your joints, ligaments and tendons and to every brain cell. You are ready to swing fluidly, creating effortless power not powerless effort.
15. Attend the Palmetto Dunes Golf Forum.
This will be an evening of golf entertainment, education and enjoyment.
By Doug Weaver
A former PGA Touring pro, Doug Weaver is the Director of Instruction at the Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy. He conducts “Where Does the Power Come From?,” a free clinic and demonstration, every Monday at 4 p.m. Call 843-785-1138 or 800-827-3006 for more information.