Memorial Day is just around the corner, and this means one thing.
It is the unofficial start of summer. Which means thousands of visitors and planning their vacation to Hilton Head. Are you one of them? If so, here is a list of 10 “Must Takes” for your trip:
- Swimsuit. This seems like a no brainer. But remember, you will probably be living in your suit the entire week. So, bring ones that fit your beach activities and that make you feel comfortable. While you’re at it, bring two or three. That way, you’ll always have a dry one on hand.
- Flip-flops. You have to have them. You are on an island. You just do.
- Beach Tote. The first thing visitors do after checking in is to head to the beach. Be prepared an have your tote ready to go.
- Cover Up. Similar to the beach tote, you’ll want your cover up as soon as you arrive to get in that coveted beach time. Have it packed on top and ready to sport.
- Sun Hat. You won’t regret this “must bring”. Pack one that can multitask and go from the beach to shopping, then out to dinner.
- Stainless Steel Water Bottle. Three words: portable, durable hydration.
- Portable Cooler. If you need more than one stainless steel bottle of water, bring one of these. They fold down and take up little space.
- Waterproof Speaker. I you love your tunes, a waterproof speaker can save your phone from saltwater, sand or rain. Plus, they’re small and portable.
- A Good Book. A good beach read is the perfect way to escape, while listening to waves crash in the background.
- Dry Bags. Dry Bags provide a Watertight enclosure by the way they are secured. Instead of a zipped closure, you roll down the top and buckle it. They are extremely durable and are submersible, too.
Almost everything on the list above are readily available when you get to the Island. If you are flying, we suggest you leave these at home and shop for them up when you arrive. But, if you are driving this vacation, it might be a good idea to bring your favorites of the following:
- Sunscreen. Bring it or buy it here, it is the NUMBER 1 safety item you will need on your whole trip. Hilton Head’s summer sun is strong! Save yourself from the misery of a sun burn, or worse, sun poisoning. Stock up!
- Sunglasses. Sunglasses are the first thing to lose, even when you’re not stressed while traveling. But you will absolutely need them. Maybe pack a durable pair, that can withstand a full suitcase and not get smooshed. Or buy a less expensive pair when you hit the first store.
- Kids Toys. Many local grocery stores and pharmacies carry an abundance of these, but if your young ‘ens have their favorite, it might be wise to pack them.
- Beach Chairs, Tents and Umbrellas. Of course, this can come with you only if you are driving to the Island. Companies, like Lowsea Bike, Beach and Baby Rental
- Beach Towels. Many vacation rentals supply towels, but it can’t hurt to pack one, too.
Tips for Packing:
- Light and breezy clothing should be your go-to look. While you want to be comfortable, aim for a summery look that’s casual but polished.
- Be sure to think about how you’ll transport beach items back home. There’s nothing worse than a suitcase full of sand.
- Leave your bike at home. Biking is a great way to explore the Island, whether on our miles and miles of paths on the beach. Because of this, Hilton Head is home to many bike rental companies that throw in free delivery and pick up, locks and helmets.
- See if your vacation rental unit has its own washer and dryer. This could cut down what you need to pack immensely.
- You can pretty much guarantee it will be warm on Hilton Head during the summer months. But summer also brings those late-afternoon thunderstorms. Because of this, be sure to bring a jacket. You may also need it, if you tend to get cold air conditioned restaurants.